Health Benefits and Nutritional Information of Watermelon. The watermelon is one of juiciest fruits in the world. It contains large amount of water which achieves a cooling impact particularly amid the summer season. A watermelon is exceptionally rich in lycopene, sodium antioxidants, carotenoid, potassium, Vitamin C, B6, B1 and A, arginine, amino acids, citrulline, magnesium and different phytonutrients.
♦ Health benefits of watermelon
It hence goes without saying that it’s medical advantages are numerous. The following are some health benefits of watermelon:
1. It controls the blood pressure:
The high measures of magnesium and potassium in the fruits guarantee that it lessens the blood pressure. This is additionally made possible by the present carotenoids that work by keeping the hardening of the veins and conduits’ walls.
2. Strengthens the immune system:
Notwithstanding potassium and magnesium, watermelons are likewise source of thiamin which shields the body from numerous diseases.
3. Neutralizes free radicals:
They contain anti-oxidants that go all through the body neutralizing free radicals in this way protecting against stroke, heart diseases, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, prostate cancer and colon cancer.
4. Reduces the danger of kidney disorders:
Potassium that is available in watermelons is essential in the poisonous deposition from the kidneys. It additionally decreases the concentration of uric acid in the blood in this manner diminishing the development of calculi in the kidneys.
5. Cooling impact:
It has a good cooling impact and is exceptionally high in citrulline, an amino acid utilized by our bodies to make different amino acid, known as arginine, which is utilized as a part of the urea cycle to expel ammonia from the body.
6. Prevents Macular degeneration:
Vitamin C and the beta-carotene in the fruits both shield the eyes from macular degeneration in this way advancing a sharp vision and guaranteeing that our eyes stay sound.
7. Enhances cardiovascular capacities:
Watermelon is likewise famous for its high lycopene abundance. The one gives the fruits its red colour. This counter oxidants, beta-carotene and the carotenoid properties in the fruits cooperate towards guaranteeing that our hearts stay youthful and free from age-related cardiovascular issues.
8. Useful for diabetes:
They are great supply of low energy and low sugar diets which facilitate the aggravation in diabetic individuals. They additionally advance the best possible working of the insulin which further decreases the blood sugar levels. Arginine additionally improves the effect of insulin on sugar.
9. Useful for energy production:
A watermelon is rich in vitamin B6 and B1 which are crucial for energy production.
♦ Nutritional Information of Watermelon (nutritional value per 100 g)
1. Energy and Water
• Water: 91.45 grams – Lycopene: 4532 micrograms – Energy: 30 kcal – Carbohydrates: 7.55 grams – Sugars: 6.2 grams – Dietary fiber: 0.4 grams – Fat: 0.15 grams – Protein: 0.61 grams
• Vitamin A: 28 micrograms – Beta-carotene: 303 micrograms – Thiamine (B1): 0.033 micrograms – Riboflavin (B2): 0.021 milligrams – Niacin (B3): 0.178 milligrams – Pantothenic acid (B5): 0.221 milligrams – Vitamin B6: 0.045 milligrams – Choline: 4.1 milligrams – Vitamin C: 8.1 milligrams
• Calcium: 7 milligrams – Iron: 0.24 milligrams – Magnesium: 10 milligrams – Manganese: 0.038 milligrams – Phosphorus: 11 milligrams – Potassium: 112 milligrams – Sodium: 1 milligrams – Zinc 0.: 1 milligrams
♦ Source of info: USDA Nutrient Database