Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension diet (or DASH Diet Chart), is a well-prepared eating plan of a healthier/balanced diet. It is mostly a doctor’s recommendation to reduce and conclusively stop Hypertension.
Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension
High blood pressure is increase in pressure of the blood contained in the arteries and the veins beyond the optimal ranges. Adherence to a balanced diet eating plan has a high potential of reducing blood pressure as well as stopping it fully. This is because the major causes of hypertension are as a result of bad eating habits. This disorder is common to old people. You cannot to say that young people are out of the equation. They are also a risk of being infected if they don’t watch their eating habits.
♦ Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension diet (DASH diet)
This is a diet that is balanced nutritionally in order to achieve good health. Adherence to the DASH diet means that each day you will be ingesting 2,000 calories into your body. The DASH diet should entail the following food types;
- Fruits (to be consumed four to five times a day-1 medium sized fruit, 63m1 of dried fruit, 125 ml fresh, canned fruit, or frozen).
- Dry Beans, nuts, and seeds ( to be served four to five times a week — A cup of cooked peas or beans, 30 ml of peanut butter 1/3 cup of nuts).
- Vegetable (involving four to five servings a day- 250 ml raw leafy vegetables, 125 ml of cooked vegetables, 170 ml juice).
- Poultry, Lean meat, and Fish (should involve six or fewer servings in a day- 3 ounces of cooked lean meat, fish, or poultry).
Read more about Natural Remedies for High Cholesterol and Triglycerides
- Whole grains (should be served six to eight times in a day- 1 cup (250 ml of ready cooked cereal, A cup (125 ml) of cooked rice or pasta.
- Oils and Fats (to served two three times a day: 30 ml of light salad dressing , 5 ml of vegetable oil, 5 ml of margarine, and 15 ml low- fat mayonnaise).
- Sodium (you should not consume more than 2,300 mg in one day).
- Daily foods of low-fat (two to three times per day: 250 ml of yogurt, 250 ml of milk, 50 g of cheese.
- Sweets ( five times in a week or less).
- Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension
(DASH) diet can be adapted in order to realize your goals in the following sample ways:
• In order to lose weight, you must cut down on the a number of calories ingested. This should be at the rate of 1,600 calories /day. Obesity and hypertension are highly related.
• If you like drinking you are supposed to cut down the number of drinks you take in a day to two/ day (for men) and to one drink or even less (for women).
• For enhanced blood pressure reduction. You are required to replace some amount of carbohydrates in DASH diet with unsaturated fats and proteins with low fats content.
• If you are above forty years of age, you are required to adapt a version of low sodium intake i.e. less than 1,500 mg/ day.
• You need to take low-fat foods and fruits as snacks and desserts. Fruits and the low-fat foods will offer you with variety as well as great taste.
• Improve intake of Vegetables in a day so as to improve digestion.
• It is very important to pay attention to the product labels to avoid those with high sodium levels.
♦ Effects of High Blood Pressure
When the blood pressure is high the heart is forced to work harder. This is in the effort to pump and transport oxygen (in the form of oxyhemoglobin) and nutrients to the cells and tissues. The blood arteries that transport blood from the heart become less elastic and scarred. This is a common scenario as one grows old, but it will happen highly to people with hypertension. This hampers the transportation of oxygenated blood to the cells tissues and organs. This leads to organ damage. Some of the common problems as a result of this include following:
- heart attack
- heart failure
- brain damage leading to stroke
- kidney damage which leads to kidney failure.
Conclusively, it is very important to adhere to a balanced/ healthy eating. This will not only reduce and stop hypertension. It will also play a significant role in improving other your body organs system. Adherence to the stipulated DASH will enhance your efforts in fighting hypertension and cumulatively progress your longevity.